You get BACK exactly what you put in. If you’re planning on being a couch potato you’re back pain is most likely to return or worsen, no doctor and no tablet will be the quick fix we so often yearn for when suffering from pain. These are basic things to consider for a healthy back after Chiropractic Treatment
To prevent back pain, it is also very important to learn to lift and bend properly. Follow these tips:
- If an object is too heavy or awkward, get help.
- Spread your feet apart to give you a wide base of support.
- Stand as close to the object you are lifting as possible.
- Bend at your knees, not at your waist.
- Tighten your stomach muscles as you lift the object or lower it down.
- Hold the object as close to your body as you can.
- Lift using your leg muscles.
- As you stand up with the object, DO NOT bend forward.
- DO NOT twist while you are bending for the object, lifting it up, or carrying it.
Other measures to prevent back pain include:
- Avoid standing for long periods of time. If you must stand for your work, try using a stool. Alternate resting each foot on it.
- DO NOT wear high heels. Use cushioned soles when walking. Have your feet checked in our clinic in case you need orthotics to correct any imblaces in your arch which may be effecting your posture and increasing your pain.
- When sitting for work, especially if using a computer, make sure that your chair has a supportive back with an adjustable seat and back, armrests, and 5 wheels for mobility.
- If you are short, use a stool under your feet while sitting so that your knees are higher than your hips.
- Place a lumbar support pillow or rolled towel behind your lower back while sitting or driving for long periods of time.
- If you drive long distance, stop and walk around every hour. Bring your seat as far forward as possible to avoid bending. Don’t lift heavy objects just after a ride.
- Quit smoking.
- Lose weight.
Learn to relax
Do exercises to strengthen your abdominal muscles on a regular basis. This will strengthen your core to decrease the risk of further injuries. Try methods such as yoga, or tai chi and massage, we provide tai chi and massage in our clinic, for more information on booking call 04 3481166